The NDN project team compiles and publishes this newsletter monthly to inform the community about recent activities, technical news, meetings, publications, presentations, code releases, and upcoming events. You can find these newsletters posted on the Named Data Networking Project blog.
- Mark your calendars for 20-23 March 2016 when we plan to hold the next NDN Hackathon (open to the public) and Project Retreat (open to NDN Consortium members). We will host the retreat on the University of California at San Diego campus in La Jolla, CA. This retreat will focus on science applications, technical discussions with a focus on NFD development, autoconfiguration IoT over NDN, and architectural principles and I/UCRC proposal planning. For registration information, agenda, and more see the web page at http://www.caida.org/workshops/ndn/1603/.
- We published an updated alpha version of NFD on Android to Google Play store, based on the recently released NFD version 0.4.0. This first release has limited documentation. We welcome help in any form: bug reports and feature requests submitted to redmine, patches, bug fixes, feature implementations, documentation and updates. To opt-in to the alpha testing and to download the NFD app, open https://play.google.com/apps/testing/net.named_data.nfd on your Android device. Source code for the port is available on GitHub: https://github.com/named-data-mobile/NFD-android
- The NDN Testbed has grown to 31 Nodes with 84 links. Since our last newsletter, four new sites have connected to the NDN Testbed; University of Goettingen, University of Indonesia, Osaka University, and the University of Minho in Portugal. See the complete list at http://named-data.net/ndn-testbed/.
- We released a new version of PyNDN, the NDN Common Client Library for Python. The main change is to use the “cryptography” package which has the following advantages:
- Faster – up to 7 times faster for RSA signing
- The code is under active maintenance
- Supports elliptic curve ECDSA
- More uniform support for Python 2 vs. 3.
To install the cryptography package on your platform, please see the INSTALL file
NDN Publications, Presentations, and Technical Reports
- Gusev, P., Z. Wang, J. Burke, L. Zhang, T. Yoneda, R. Ohinishi, E. Muramoto. “Real-time Streaming Data Delivery over Named Data Networking,” to appear in IEICE Transactions, 2016. This paper, accepted for publication by the Japanese IEICE, generalizes and expands on the description of the current NDN-RTC approach.
- W. Shang, A. Bannis, T. Liang, Z. Wang, Y. Yu, A. Afanasyev, J. Thompson, J. Burke, B. Zhang, and L. Zhang. “Named Data Networking of Things (Invited Paper).” IEEE IoTDI 2016, April 4-8, Berlin, Germany. This paper surveys the challenges to Internet of Things (IoT) using TCP/IP and explores how Named Data Networking (NDN) can help achieve the IoT vision in a more secure, straightforward, and innovation-friendly manner. The paper discusses short- and long-term scenarios for employing NDN to enable the IoT.
- NDN TR-0038 Revision 1: Wentao Shang, Yingdi Yu, Ralph Droms, Lixia Zhang. “Challenges in IoT Networking via TCP/IP Architecture” analyzes the technical challenges in applying TCP/IP to the IoT environment and reviews various solutions. The paper argues that existing IP-based solutions are either inefficient or insufficient in supporting IoT applications, and that a more effective solution would embrace the Information Centric Network architecture.
- Our NDN Seminar series continued in February. The NDN seminars are internally focused. If you would like to participate in the NDN Seminars, please contact the new PoC, UCLA PhD. candidate Spyridon Mastorakis <Spiros.firstname.lastname@example.org> for the most up-to-date information regarding upcoming seminars.
- 10 February 2016 Yingdi Yu (UCLA), “Schematizing Trust in Named Data Networking”
- 24 February 2016 Peter Gusev (UCLA REMAP) “Real-Time Videoconferencing over NDN”
- 2 March 2016 Susmit Shannigrahi (Colorado State University) “Scientific Data Applications in NDN”
For more information about the Named Data Networking (NDN) Project please visit http://www.named-data.net/.Social tagging: hackathon > ndn consortium > ndn project retreat > ndn seminar > nfd > nfd-android > nfd-windows > testbed